about a boy

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ho ho Oh Jesus

We can try and try to not be implicated in what happens around December 25, but in the end we are. I am not anti-Christmas, and I am really not anti-giving. But moderation is the key. It is nice to give and to receive. I think we hope to instill this in Elio as the years go on. I don't want to take the joy out of the surprise gift, but I want him and us to appreciate it, fully. And I hope over the long term the emphasis becomes on the action and not the object. Because I am anti-consumerism. It is the image of us at the table that I love. ( I love the other images too because Kate is so happy and elio looks silly.) That is what we have all come to love, the food, talking or at least trying to talk at a hi pitch, being with all the people who love us and now love Elio. I think he knows it too.




No comments: